Monday, 3 December 2012

Nokta reads … 11/2012

Is it already December? -Time sure does fly.
One more Months to read away this Year.
Hmm... Books *om nom*

1984 (Nineteen Eighty-Four) - George Orwell
★★★★★★★★☆☆
I am still baffled. It was nothing & everything I expected!
I felt kind of depressed while reading it, there was this huge oppressing feeling of no Hope. And some of the government actions and; the day to day situations were earily similar to what we have experienced in the past 50 to 80 years, though in a more light and hidden note.
I would like to elaborate more on this, but first have to sort out my thoughts about certain things that made this book and its story the way it is.
Recommending this to everyone out there!!

Das Durchdrehen der Schraube (The Turn of the Screw) - Henry James
★★★★☆☆☆☆☆☆
I was not happy about reading this so called Classic. The predominantly inner dialogues of the Governess and that criminal overuse of Commas, to make a sentence crap loads long, had me almost crawling up the Walls. Also, if English is not your first language or you are not on an alomost perfect level with it, skip this Book. It will be better for you.
If you would like to read it nonetheless, it is a legal, free Book at Gutenberg Project which you can Download at this Link.

The Willows - Algernon Blackwood
★★★★★★★☆☆☆
Oh, this was another one of those Classics. But where Mr. James epically failed, Mr. Blackwood succeedded. I was sitting in front of my computer and reading line after line with a jar full of Fingernails in my lap. So Good!
Also, I kept picturing the actor Christopher Heyerdahl as the character called "The Swede", because he was tall like the Actor, who coincidentally played a character who was called "The Swede" as well in a TV show last year. I love it when Fandoms collide! ;)
This also is a legal, free Book which you Download here via Gutenberg Project.

The Day After Tomorrow - Whitley Strieber
★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
It was a nice read, and almost perfectly written one on one with the movie.
Like most of Emmerich's works, it was a little bit harsh done and the science does not really add up, but that does not count in this new Millenium, right?
Mini Spoiler... I am so glad the homeless Dude and his Dog made it. :3

Das Haus auf dem Hügel (The House on the Hill) - Judith Kelman
★★★★★★☆☆☆☆
This was an unexpectly good read.
It was a Formula that would have been quite stale otherwise, but the Lady did a great job of giving me a good deal of suspense through out the Book.
I also liked the comic relief that were certain thoughts and words coming from her red haired protagonist... actually one of the many main characters, 'cause there really was not a line to draw between most of the characters' and their level of importance, imho.

 (obviously those two Classics are not in the Picture above, since they are e-books)

It might be, that in the first half of December I won't be able to get online, since we are trying to switch to a new Internet and Telephone provider, so I might not post new Entries or read your Blogs.
Until then, have a fabulous time!

Yours,
Nokta

EDIT - This is my 3'rd try at posting this Entry. Blogger seems to be buggy these Days. :(

16 comments:

  1. Love your blog! Maybe we could follow each other on bloglovin or GFC? Please leave me a comment or follow me and I will follow you =) http://lepetitplastique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice blog!! Maybe you would like to follow each other on facebook and gfc? Let me know dear <3
    Kisses Demi
    Demi's Canvas on Facebook
    Demi's Canvas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your comment!I would love to read the day after tomorrow!
    Come back soon to visit my fashion blog!
    Win a Love Obsessed $50 gift card!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in search of some new books! Even though 1984 is a classic, I haven't read it yet. But since it is a bit depressing as you say, I will read it after christmas :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always a pleasure to read your comments! have a fab Wednesday!
    Come back soon to visit my fashion blog!
    Win a Love Obsessed $50 gift card!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy December and I do not how you have the time to read all the books you do! But keep it up I love to hear about them.

    Happy Holidays
    Much Love,
    Amy K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you... you, too! :) Well, I do not watch TV, so Music & Books it is. (But I know people who read even more in a Month, I'm slow like a snail compared to them)

      Delete
  7. "1984" is a must-read book, and G. Orwell is a modern prophet. He foresaw things with great accuracy.
    Good Luck with your new internet provider!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you. :) And just as the main character "Winston" people, like you & I, won't be able to change it.
      Thank you, I hope the switch will be quick & easy!

      Delete
  8. Have a great time, you too!
    Hope you'll resolve all the issues and see u back soon!
    xo

    http://aboutwomenandnotonly.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great reviews, I will have to pick up a few of these!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It is always appreciated...

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this...