Friday, 7 February 2014

Nokta reads 01/2014...

I was thinking about posting some of my short wannabe-reviews again.
So with today I begin posting "Nokta Reads 2014" once a month.
I hope you enjoy it, while it lasts... ;)

The House of the Vampire - George Sylvester Viereck
★★★★★★★★☆☆
This way quite a gay book, in more than one ways...
I wasn't happy with Viereck always writing the full name when mentioning the protagonist, after the 10'th time it made me want to stop reading the book. But I never do that, so read on I did.
Minor spoilery Spoilers ahead for this!
I love that this had no Happy end. I like that an old book like this, first published in 1907, used the theme of an 'emotional' & artistic energy sucking Vampire!
You can read this at Gutenberg Project, it's a quick one -> The House of the vampire - G. S. Viereck

Der Geschmack von Apfelkernen (The Taste of Apple Seeds) - Katharina Hagena
★★★★★☆☆☆☆☆
I don't think the Author really knew what she wanted to write about...
The book only got such a "high" rating from me, because she had a few good laughs that made me smile (okay, laugh out loud!).
The main protagonist was basically eating, sleeping, wearing 50+ year old dresses, which she kept destroying in one way or another, and riding her grandpas bicycle to the lake to swim around naked. Not to forget, running around while going Commando.

Cyrano de Bergerac - Edmond Rostand
★★★★★★★★★★
Vay anam!!! Where to start!?
My poor, poor Cyrano! I saw it on TV as a (very small)kid, but never read the Play. Never did I realise, what I had missed all those years!!ONE1!
I have always been of the believe, that people with a beautiful Mind are a thousand times better to love than people with a beautiful Face and/or Physic.
And sadly Cyrano was a troubled man, lacking self esteem & self love thanks to superficial people being the majority in his surroundings and this World in general.
He was trying to hide his vulnerabilty and integrity(regarding the World) by colouring his every words with stinging, straightforward insults... laced with his dry wit & sarcasm among other things.
It hurt to see, that in the end he sacrificed his own happines just so as not to hurt & offend(in his eyes) his beloved Roxane.
Oh, and I just kind of might have fallen in love a tiny bit with Le Bret, his friend.
Also available at the Gutenberg Project for free in English -> Cyrano de Bergerac - E. Rostand

Ein Weinberg in der Toskana - Wie mein Traum wahr wurde (A Vineyard in Tuscany: A Wine Lover's Dream) - Ferenc Máté
★★★★★★★★☆☆
This was the 2'nd book out of Máté's "The Tuscan Trilogy", and I am still livid about the fact, that our Public Library had this one but not the first.
I really, really dislike (read, HATE!) it whenever I read a book series out of order, basically not reading from the beginning. But I was being repeatedly reassured by one of the Ladies that this was the first part. DX
Anyway, this is an non-fictional Autobiography about landlife in sunny Tuscany and about the process of renovating a House & cultivating grape vine so as to make Wine (& some money). 
Máté has done a nice job of making me wonder in between reading sessions when he was going to go mad, get himself & his small family ruined, drive off the next cliff or if he ever would gain a single drinkable drop of the so dearly desired Red Liquid.

(Sorry for the bad quality, had to use the smart phone Camera... but hey, natural Light!)

Also, feel free to recommend me books... always love to hear about a new/unknown one.
My fave genres are Horror, Science Fiction, Classic and such.

Yours, 
Nokta

12 comments:

  1. Der Geschmack von Apfelkernen ist soooooo toll :) Schön, dass Du auch bei mir vorbeigeschaut hast - folge Dir nun Bloglovin und GFC (vielleicht magst Du auch ;) - habe mir eben noch ein Buch auf dem "Grabbeltisch" gekauft und freu mich auf das WE an dem ich hoffentlich ein bisschen Zeit zum Lesen finde!

    LG aus der EDELFABRIK
    Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Im Grunde fand ich das Buch auch schön. Ich empfand es nur als störend, dass die Hauptfigur sich manchmal erst an etwas erinnerte nachdem sie kurz zuvor angeblich gar nix davon wusste... und andere, ähnliche Plotlöcher. Sonst war es ja schon ein gutes Buch. :)
      Viel Spaß mit deinem Buch und schönes Wochenende Dir.

      Ja, ich hab dich auch auf GFC 'angeklickt'. :)

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely blog dear! Following you now, hope you visit and follow my blog too!♥
    AIMEROSE BLOG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It sure is a lovely place, I've watched a few documentaries about it! :)

      Delete
  4. This looks like a good book. Kinda creepy, but I do enjoy an occasional scary read hehe =)
    http://www.mybrokeneggshells.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your blog
    followed
    http://minimaysi.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment!
It is always appreciated...

Linked Within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Add this...